New mums and baby showers go together like hot cocoa and marshmallows.
It’s a fun party, and the mother-to-be gets a headstart on diapers and other baby essentials.
So, shower the new mum with love and appreciation with unique gifts, from practical gift baskets to adorable keepsake boxes.
The best baby shower gifts for new mums have are an element of personalization such as:
- Offering to babysit when the baby arrives
- Layla’s Delicacies gift boxes
- Customized jewelry
- Essential oils
- Luxury maternity and nursing clothing
- Themed gift baskets
So, let’s take a look at some unique baby shower gifts for new mums.
Gift #1: Aromatic Essential Oils
Essential oils are invaluable to new mums.
- Mix them in her cleaning products (like body wash or shampoo)
- Diffuse them in her home or smell the oils straight from the bottle
- Dilute the oils and apply them to her skin
Lavender, for instance, is a natural stress reliever, perfect for new mums feeling frustrated during the early days of parenthood.
The calming fragrance of lavender will elevate her mood and help her sleep better.
She can also use lavender essential oils to moisturize her skin.
Here are some other oils to consider for the new mum:
- A lemon, peppermint, and citrus oil blend can raise energy levels and is great for when mama is feeling sluggish
- Clary sage will uplift her emotions and return her vitality after delivery
- Sweet orange essential oil has a comforting scent
- Grapefruit oils lighten up mental fatigue
Look out for other healthy ingredients like chamomile, basil, and geranium.
Just remind the new mum to practice caution when applying the oils directly onto her skin as they can cause irritation and itching.
We recommend diluting essential oils with a carrier oil, like jojoba or sweet almond, before using them on the skin.
Gift #2: Photoshoot Session
A photoshoot captures cherished memories that the new mum can look back on.
You can hire a local photographer or take the pictures yourself. Here are some ideas:
- Photos of her baby bump from different angles
- A creative ‘coming soon’ sign pointing to her belly
- An elegant picture of the new mum in a sophisticated dress and her full pregnant glow
- A picture of the mother-to-be in her baby’s nursery
- The new mum with her partner, pet, or her family
Another great twist is using a polaroid camera so the new mum can have an instant printout to carry with her.
Remember to give her a baby photo album or memory book alongside this gift.
Gift #3: DIY Gift Certificate
You’ll need some decorative paper and a pen to make a DIY gift certificate. Write down a service that the new mum will appreciate and when you can offer it.
You can offer to:
- Clean her house
- Walk her pets
- Run her errands
- Spend time with her
- Massage her
- Surprise her with a date night
- Watch the baby as the mum showers or catches up on sleep
Once the new mum starts feeling like herself again, give her a hairstylist gift card, nail salon gift card, or restaurant gift card so she can get out of the house for a day to herself.
Gift #4: Custom Jewelry
This is one of those gifts you won’t find on a baby shower registry, but that’s exactly why a new mum will love it.
Jewelry is durable and carries sentimental value. You can never go wrong with stylish earrings, charm bracelets, or a simple gold necklace.
Add a personal touch to your jewelry gift by customizing it with the following options:
- Get her an engraved name necklace with the baby’s initials on it.
- Engrave the baby’s expected birth date onto a bracelet or ring.
- Use the baby’s birthstone as a pendant on a necklace.
- Get her a pendant necklace with an illustration of baby feet.
- Buy her a nameplate necklace with the words ‘new mum.’
A new mum will appreciate beautifully crafted jewelry on her baby shower, especially if the piece is just her style.
Gift #5: Luxury Maternity Attire
Comfortable, soft, and stretchy clothing is essential for new mums both during and after pregnancy.
Sure, the hospital will provide a standard maternity gown but a personalized robe has more fabric than your standard hospital wrap, and will help her feel comfortable, glamorous, and cover her baby bump as she carries.
She can use the robe when breastfeeding too.
You can also get her:
- A complete pajama set she can wear well into parenthood
- Mummy-and-me matching robes for her and her baby
- Maternity bundle that includes a bra, underwear, and socks
You get bonus points if the robe comes with deep pockets she can use to keep her hands warm or to carry small items (phone, lip balm, hand tissues, gum).
Shop for robes made from natural, strong, and stretchy materials such as cotton, modal, and bamboo. She needs clothes made from fabric that is:
- Breathable and lightweight so she can stay cool during labor
- Smooth to the touch
- Safe for the mum and baby
- Easy to wash and maintains its color and softness
Gift #6: New Mum Self-Care Gift Basket
Curate a basket filled with some practical items to help a new mum through her recovery and breastfeeding journey.
Such products can include:
- Bath herbs and bath bombs
- Pregnancy pillow
- Lip balm
- Body butter
- Breast pads
- Cooling/heating pillows
- Teas or gourmet coffee
Attach hand-written labels to each product to make the gift even more special. If she loves meaningful quotes, write some words of encouragement like “motherhood is the greatest thing.”
You can also curate other gift baskets like…
The Hospital Survival Kit
New mums will benefit from some practical gifts while they are in the hospital.
Curate some items like:
- Healthy snacks
- Water bottle
- Wet wipes
- Underwear and pads
The Sick Day Prep Kit
A new mum likely hasn’t thought about buying a first aid kit for their baby’s first flu. They’ll be glad you put together a gift basket that contains all the essentials:
- Baby thermometer
- Baby Tylenol
- Snotsucker and snot wipes
- Vapor rub
Gift #7: Healthy Meals and Snacks
Once the new baby arrives, the parents won’t have much time to cook.
You can help a new mum by offering to provide her family with healthy meals for the first few weeks after delivery.
Give her a homemade card saying that you will be cooking her meals for a few weeks after the baby is born.
Ask her to fill in her preferences and allergies, and suggest some foods that you think she will enjoy.
Our top choices for healthy meals for new mums include:
- Unrefined cereals, spaghetti, lasagna, potatoes, and wholemeal bread for energy and fiber
- Vegetables like carrots, beets, and turnips can be served in soups to give the new mum her vitamins
- Locally grown fruits like apples or pears
- Fish, poultry, beans, lentils, and nuts as iron and protein sources
You can make the meals yourself, or have them delivered from her favorite restaurant. You can:
- Double the serving size when making your own meals and share the excess with the new parents.
- Get her a meal subscription service for frozen meals.
- Get her a subscription to a grocery shopping service.
- Give her restaurant gift cards with a delivery option.
Finally, we all know how new mums crave sweet treats.
So, buy her some healthy snacks so she can indulge without sacrificing her nutrition. Layla’s Delicacies Congrats Gift Box contains an assortment of Tunisian sweets that will provide new mums with healthy protein and fibers.
The table below shows what’s inside our 9-piece Congrats Gift Box.
|Yasmina||Soft mixture of almond and pistachio||2 pieces|
|Crown Walnut||Crunchy walnut with white chocolate and almond||2 pieces|
|Pineapple||Chopped almond and hazelnut topped with pistachio||2 pieces|
|Baklava El Bey||Crunched pistachio enclosed in almond paste||1 piece|
|Almond Boat||Sliced almonds and caramel chocolate||2 pieces|
We also have vegan treats that new mums will love.
She’ll have her hands full with the newborn and will appreciate not having to shop for a healthy meal or snack.
Share on Pinterest:
Leave a comment (all fields required)